Filed under Beats

Current Events 12/7/17

Local:

Scottsbluff High School has been awarded an Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFJROTC) unit, which student will have the option to enroll for the 2018-2019 fall semester.

STEM tools such as Flight Simulators, Model Rockets, and Remote Controlled Aircraft will be used to reinforce what is taught in the classroom.

Students who complete two years of AFJROTC and continue to ROTC in college may be waived up to a full year of college-level AFROTC.

The program is open to both male and female students in grades 9-12, hosted in the former administrative area of the initial high school building.

The program is no cost for students or their parents, because everything is provided by the Air Force.

A significant amount of funding is provided by the Air Force, including much of the instructors’ salaries, all travel and field trips, students’ uniforms, instructional materials, and equipment.

Scottsbluff is one of five schools in Nebraska with an AFJROTC unit, and the organization has 892 programs in school worldwide.

State:

Democrat Jane Raybould emerged as the lead changellar in the upcoming 2018 elections against Nebraska Sen Deb Fischer.

Raybould pledges to be “an independent voice” in Washington determined to seek bipartisan solutions to the nation’s challenges.

Raybould said she would fight for Nebraska’s interests, with a strong recognition of how vital trade is for the state’s economy, including Nebraska’s stressed agricultural sector.

Neither Fischer nor Sen. Ben Sasse serves on the Agriculture Committee, Raybould noted.

Raybould is vice president and director of buildings and equipment at B&R Stores, which owns Russ’s Market and Super Saver grocery stores.  
A former Lancaster County commissioner, she was elected to a four-year term on the City Council in 2015.

Raybould was Democratic gubernatorial nominee Chuck Hassebrook’s running mate for lieutenant governor in 2014.