Filed under Opinion

The case for long lunches

The amount of time that us as students of Scottsbluff High school receive for lunch is simply insufficient.

As a junior, I am directly affected by the shortness of the lunch period. Everyday I have to rush to get out of the school, run to my car, and vacuum my food down my throat.

And yet, I still end up late to class.

Students currently have 35 minutes for lunch, and have no time to eat lunch, and does not matter whether or not they stay at school or leave campus.

Students who leave have to rush out of the parking lot, dawdle through a drive through, then rush back to school, trying to find time to cram food down their throat, and hope their fifth period teachers has enough mercy not to count them tardy.

To put it simply, not every students can stay for lunch anyways.

The cafeteria is smaller, and if every student stayed for lunch, there would be more food shortages, and not enough spaces for everyone to sit.

According to National Public Radio, when students have less than 20 minutes to eat, they feel rushed and end up not being able to eat all of their food.

Since students have sometimes less than 15 minutes to eat, naturally students cannot finish their all of their meal in that time frame, which causes so much food waste.

Easily, anyone can see all of the problems stemmed from the 35 minutes left to students and staff to eat their lunches.

The school day schedule needs to change to let students and staff have more time to eat.