Filed under News

Safe and Secure

Teachers assigned duty watching entrances before, after school

Social+Studies+teacher+Gary+Largo+stands+near+the+fine+arts+exit.+%22I+understand+the+concept+behind+guard+but+have+ideas+for+security+that+I+think+would+be+more+effective%2C%22+Largo+said.+
Social Studies teacher Gary Largo stands near the fine arts exit.

Social Studies teacher Gary Largo stands near the fine arts exit. "I understand the concept behind guard but have ideas for security that I think would be more effective," Largo said.

Andrew Eccles

Andrew Eccles

You may have seen teachers monitoring certain areas of the school recently.

Since the week of March 16, teachers have been given the task of watching designated areas before, during, and after school.

Although it may seem that they are just hanging out at the same spot every day, these instructors are actually there for a reason.

As a part of an administrative decision, teachers now have to monitor parts of the school on a regular basis. This is part of a further push to improve school security, in order to prevent any sort of tragedy from happening.

The idea of having teachers monitoring the school certainly isn’t new. The elementary and middle schools in the district have already implemented this concept, making SHS one of the last schools to do this.

Superintendant Rick Myles made the decision to add teacher monitors at the high school because of recent shooting in schools across the country. .

“It came to my attention that when we processed what happened in Parkland was that someone pulled the fire alarm, and as we had that discussion, I became aware that we were relying on very few people to supervise the school,” Myles said.

Principal Mike Halley also had concerns about the security before and after school.

“It is one piece of trying to improve the overall security of our building, to have teachers monitoring doors,” Halley said.

Teachers are given shifts, meaning they have to monitor a specific area at a certain time, once every week. Teachers who do not comply are subject to repercussions.

Instructors are not expected to take fil the role of a security guard, but instead monitor areas and watch out for anything that looks suspicious.

One advantage to having teachers do it is that they know students better than anyone else.

“Teachers have relationships with the kids, so they have a pretty good sense of who should be coming and who should be going.” Said Halley

More plans exist in the future, as teachers and staff may be given radios to communicate and the ability to directly contact local law enforcement.

Other new safety features include upgrading the security camera system, improving the doors on the outside of the building, and the possibility of people monitoring the front doors.

The school also plans to hire additional mental health counselors and another security guard in the near future.

“We need to take all the precautions we can, and be observant,” Halley said.

Alongside all the other safety features, the school is doing what it can to try to prevent any malicious activity from happening in or around the school.