Filed under Entertainment

Crazy Good Rom-Com

A charming cast leads the film to success

Crazy Rich Asians tells the journey of Rachel Chu who agrees to go with her boyfriend Nick to his friend’s wedding in Singapore.  Unknown to Rachel, Nick is from a very wealthy family. Rachel’s simple meet the parents trip quickly turns into her realizing she’ll have to win over his high handed mother.

Crazy Rich Asians is a standard romantic comedy. It has all the classic, yet unbelievable, tropes necessary for a rom-com: Nick’s ability to camouflage his wealth as well as hide his girlfriend from his family. Rachel is a gorgeous professor but everyone pretends she’s not good enough for Nick. Rachel’s college friend lives in Singapore and has no idea her friend is dating Nick Young.

As predictable as the plot is, Crazy Rich Asians is a charming love story that slowly wins you over. Constance Wu and Henry Golding have great chemistry together. From the first scene in the café to the finale frame, their onscreen electricity is what drives the film. The supporting is riddle with comedic actors who know exactly when to drop in a joke or funny facial expression. What’s a rom-com without the wacky people that surround the couple?

They live an extraordinary life with an embarrassment of riches and are still connected to their culture and heritage. It was important to capture that because it’s essential to who Nick is and the wedge that’s driving his mother and Rachel apart. Chu also makes Singapore look like the perfect place to vacation. He paints a beautiful picture of Southeast Asia, its people, and their culture.

Seeing the Asian and Asian-American experience on film is refreshing and their stories aren’t told enough. The film is structured like most rom-coms but Rachel’s experience dealing with Nick’s family and friends is when the film becomes a little more than a love story. At the center of Mrs. Young’s beef with Rachel are issues of classism and acceptance, among other things. This part of the Asian-American experience is explored through Rachel’s conversations with Mrs. Young. The film succeeds at getting to the bottom of Mrs. Young’s issues with Rachel and showing audiences a different perspective on what Asians and Asian-Americans experience when dating.