Filed under Sports

She’s back in the swing of thing

Senior+Jordyn+Grasmick+is+almost+back+to+normal+after+a+difficult+back+with+mononucleosis+over+the+summer.+She%27s+the+team%27s+No.+1+pitcher+and+is+shown+above+in+the+Cat%27s+double+header+sweep+of+Chase+County+on+Aug+25.+
Senior Jordyn Grasmick is almost back to normal after a difficult back with mononucleosis over the summer. She's the team's No. 1 pitcher and is shown above in the Cat's double header sweep of Chase County on Aug 25.

Gordon Rock

Gordon Rock

If pitching is the key to a successful softball season, as many believe, then a good portion of the girls’ 8-4 softball record has rested on the arm of senior pitcher Jordy Grasmick who is enjoying a stellar season.

Grasmick, who has a 5-3 record on the mound, is enjoying every minute of the season because in early June, it looked like her senior season might be lost.

Just a few weeks into summer break, Grasmick was diagnosed with mononucleosis. The basic symptoms of mono include fatigue, fever, rash, and swollen glands.

In Grasmick’s case, it was high fever for a month, severe fatigue, and a small appetite. It took two weeks, multiple doctors, and a rash of blood tests to diagnose condition.

“My mom had to take care of me. I was too weak to go get water and food so my mom brought it to me. She always had a cold rag on my head!” Grasmick said.

At her lowest point Grasmick had a hard time eating, focusing, or even getting up.

“I was probably being a little dramatic, but I told God to make me die in my sleep,” Grasmick said.

At that point, the doctors had not yet diagnosed her and she was worried about what other illnesses it could be.

After Grasmick was diagnosed she started to recover slowly. Often, she would go in for checkups and to get her blood tested.

Grasmicks coaches were very understanding of the situation and encouraged her to take time and get better.

Grasmick was scheduled to be in the Dominican Republic, playing for Team USA only 10 days after she had been diagnosed.

Against her doctor’s wishes, Grasmick went to the Dominican Republic and ended up having an amazing time with the rest of Team USA.

Fortunately her health has improved, but she is still not 100%.

“I’m still weak and working back from it. I was in a good place before I got sick this summer, but I still have to work on my accuracy and strength. This is one of the best teams we’ve had since I’ve been here.”

Grasmick has been playing softball since she was 11.  Varsity Coach Michael Gentry has been helping her improve as a player.

“It (mono) really took a lot out of her. She was having a tremendous summer ball season as well as doing a fabulous job in the weight room. She is getting her endurance and strength back more and more every day,” Gentry said.

Grasmick said Gentry’s coaching style has been a good fit for her.

“His coaching style works for me. He puts it as it is and I need that as a player,” Grasmick said.

“Jordryn’s biggest strength as a pitcher is her command. She also brings a presence to the mound. She has a great ability of having a short memory and being able to focus on the next pitch or play no matter what just happened,” Gentry said.