Filed under News

Fitzke’s got the sauce

Jesse+Fitzke%2C+who+serves+as+the+school%27s+ISS+teacher%2C+sits+in+his+office+with+a+jar+of+his+mother%27s+creation%2C+Fitzke+BBQ%2C+which+is+now+on+sales+in+several+local+stores.+
Jesse Fitzke, who serves as the school's ISS teacher, sits in his office with a jar of his mother's creation, Fitzke BBQ, which is now on sales in several local stores.

Dust off your shelves ladies and gentlemen there’s a sauce needed in your pantry.

To be more specific, Fitzke BBQ Sauce, made by Jesse Fitzke, some of the main ingredients ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. All ingredients come straight off the shelf and made at the own Guadalupe Center.

Forty years ago the Great Momma Fitzke’s recipe was born in the kitchen. Now being sold by your own Jesse Fitzke in markets such as Main Street Market, Mitchells Farmers Market, Lincoln NE and in stores around Colorado.

“Friends and family always said to sell it and we went to a craft fair and in the first two hours we sold out of 70 jars,” Fitzke said. “Nothing compares to it; you won’t find anything like it”

Fitzke isn’t the only one helping out this operation. His wife Danielle Fitzke a 2009 SHS grad helps with the marketing side of the sauce and made the label with the slogan and name.

“I would love to put these jars in all stores, I have been told “no” on occasion,” Fitzke said. Making a jar only costs Fitzke a dollar and seventeen cents and he sells it for six dollars a jar so he can keep buying the ingredients and make a profit.

When Fitzke started in the summer of 2018 he had to send in a sample to UNL for inspection of PH level so it won’t grow bacteria.

On average, 200 jars a month are sold and would make an estimated profit of $800 dollars. Some of the staff and students around school love the BBQ sauce.

“Gucci Mang once said, “If a man ain’t got a sauce, then he lost” Fitzke’s BBQ Sauce has a perfectly sweet, smooth finish that goes down pleasantly sour on any meat you place it on,” senior Nate Cantor said of Fitzke’s Sauce,

“Taste original and flavorful; first time I tried it was with some baked beans” Marketing Teacher Derek Deaver said. Mr. Deaver is a returning buyer for the sauce and he feels like it’s out there compared to other sauces he wasn’t too big on named brand BBQ sauce like A1 or Sweet Baby Ray’s but after he tried Fitzke’s sauce he couldn’t stop having it.

Fitzke cooks all of the ingredients and cans it. Later on it gets labeled and ready for the stores of the county.

If you’re a fan of BBQ sauce, and even if you’re not, you need to try this sauce with any meat it goes with it is definitely worth your time.