Filed under Sports

Creating a Winning Culture

Girls team sports struggle to create consistent winners

Varsity Volleyball in the 2017 season

Varsity Volleyball in the 2017 season

Varsity Volleyball in the 2017 season

Slowly and steadily the girls’ golf team has made itself into one of the top teams in the Panhandle. They hope to make some noise at next week’s state tournament on Monday and Tuesday at Columbus after finishing second at the District meet at the Scotts Bluff Country Club this past Monday.

“We’ve improved a lot. Recording the scores from beginning to end of the season every year is always interesting seeing the increments of improvement,.” Girls Golf Coach Brock Ehler said. “We’ve definitely gone a long ways this year. We started with three girls able to beat the score of a hundred and now we’ve got eight or nine girls breaking a hundred this year. It’s competitive and it’s good, it really makes the girls enjoy golf. It’s fun when you’re better.”

Although it’s been a competitive season, their confidence remains strong as they look forward to the state tournament.

“The two strongest teams this year are Omaha Duchesne, last year’s state champion, and Gering. We’ve proven to be pretty close to them and I feel if we play well anything can happen. Last year, I thought we were somewhere between third, fourth, or fifth place and we ended up getting second. Expectations are high and they should be. Your goals should be realistic but not achieved every time,” Ehler said.

The girls golf team has improved from a season high of 383 at the Sidney Invite to a season low of 341 at the Alliance Invite two weeks ago.

“I’ve really improved this season and worked on my game. My scores have been pretty consistent and I love the people on the team. My coaches push me to be my best, they’ve taught me a lot this year,” junior Carson Hauschild said.

The coaches and players seem to be in cahoots about coaching philosophy and what works for them. Golf requires a unique coaching approach compared to football or basketball.

“You have to coach all of your kids a little bit differently. Some handle it good when you’re a tough, hard nose coach and some don’t respond that well. Some kids are thinkers so you tell them one or two things and they start over thinking and it makes the game really difficult,”Ehler said.