Filed under Feature, News

A girl’s best friend

Service dog provides Devlin with preventative medicine

Keto%2C+junior+Lauren+Delvin%27s+service+dog%2C+is+a+familiar+sight+to+students+on+the+first+floor.+He+accompanies+Devlin+on+most+days+to+school+and+is+trained+to+alert+Lauren+to+potential+medical+problems+as+a+result+of+her+diabetes.+
Keto, junior Lauren Delvin's service dog, is a familiar sight to students on the first floor. He accompanies Devlin on most days to school and is trained to alert Lauren to potential medical problems as a result of her diabetes.

Andrew Eccles

Andrew Eccles

Students may have noticed a furry friend roaming around the school first quarter. His name is Keto Charles Devlin and he is the paw print on junior Lauren Devlin’s heart.

“Keto is a chocolate lab and although, Keto is still in training, he is already a great service dog,” Devlin said.

She received Keto because she has type one diabetes and she adapted to the feeling of her blood sugar.

“He is not with me 24/7 because he is still in training, but as soon as he is done with training, he will be”. Lauren said.

Devlin was diagnosed in third grade with type I diabetes. Before she was diagnosed she said she unable to eat and had been to the hospital many times.

“Mom thought that it would be a good idea and mom talked to my doctor, who is also a family friend, and he thought it would also be a good idea,”  Devlin said.

Lauren is currently home schooled and only comes to the high school for A Cappella Choir and a drama class.

“When she doesn’t bring him to class it feels like a student is absent,” English teacher Dr. Elena Garcia said referring to Keto. Keto has become part of some of the skits and has interrupted a few.

Devlin’s mom and her doctor thought it would be a good idea for Lauren to have service dog because she adapted to the feeling of her sugar.

Her mom contacted a site called, Tattletail Alert Dogs. The family was on a waitlist for two years.

KC Owen’s is the runner of Tattletale alert dogs in Salt Lake City, UT. She breeds all types of labs.

Keto cost $3,000 and lessons for becoming a service dog cost extra but they were able to get financial help. All the dogs are trained beginning at birth.

Lauren also had to get some training in order to take care of Keto. They go on a “Puppy Pick up weekend.

All the families meet their dogs and talk, there were a total of nine puppies in the litter. Keto came from a tri-color litter, which consisted of two gold Labs, two black Labs, and five chocolate.

They all learn how to train the dog. It gave examples on how to take care of the service dog and how to use it.

Lauren still does some training now by taking lessons online and doing video chats with KC.

Keto has alerts for when Lauren’s sugar is low and high: pawing left for low and pawing right when it is high, sometimes he even pins back his ears.

The dog measures Lauren’s blood sugar and glucose by sniffing her breath. It makes it easier on her to have a service dog. Keto has alerted Lauren during class a few times.

“Keto has started pawing her or given her a warning in the middle of class.” Dr. Garcia said.

Some rules that come to play when Keto is with Lauren at school is that he has to stay at her feet, he can’t bark, and he is not allowed to eat or drink in the building.

Lauren does not just want Keto being treated like a service dog, she also treats him partially as a pet: playing catch, petting him, and showing his cutest and weirdest moments off on snapchat.