Filed under News

Your Brain on Music

Think the music you're listening to isn't affecting you... you might think again

The tapping of a pencil, the step in your feet, everyone has a musical bone somewhere in their body what you don’t know is the music in your brain.
The brain is a complex organ in your body and it comprehends everyone of the five senses.
Sound, more specifically music, has different genres that affect your brain in different ways. Students listen to music constantly in places such as studying, walking in the halls, showering, or sometimes when they want to find an escape from the world for a couple minutes.
“I listen to music in the car, at home, hallways, in classrooms,” sophomore Liam Bythe said. “Music allows me to study a lot easier. During the biology final at first I was tense and it was a lot harder, the teacher turned on some music and it calmed me down and made me focus a lot more.”
Different types of music affect different things. For example listening to slower and softer music is more beneficial than loud and upbeat music.
Classical music is one of the few genres that has been proven to be beneficial to studying and tests.
A British study claims listening to Mozart for 10 minutes produces a “Mozart Effect” where test-takers IQ scores went up 8 or 9 points according to The Effects of Music on a Student’s Schoolwork written by Judy Miller.
There’s a lot of benefits to listening to music while studying, but there are disadvantages as well. Depending on what you listen to your brain’s reaction is different. A University of Toronto study found that fast, loud music hinders reading comprehension. It agitates rather than focuses the studier, and researcher Glenn Schellenberg likened it to trying to learn while riding a roller coaster.
“At the end of the day after listening to Lil Peep, my ears start to ache and they are sensitive to loud noises” said senior Andrew Eccles. “I listen to loud music throughout the day because it helps block out sound around me especially at school.”
Research has shown that kids can lose hearing at an earlier age from listening to music at a higher volume and can be very damaging to the eardrum.
“I usually cannot hear what the teacher is saying because my ears ache to the point I don’t want to hear anything else,” Eccles said.
The part of the brain that is active is your temporal lobe and that part of the brain processes what we hear. Eccles hears what he wants to hear so his temporal lobe lights up and he processes the music more than his education.
Another active part of the brain the Nucleus Accumbens, this part of the brain seeks pleasure and plays a big role in addiction. Like cocaine, music produces dopamine in the brain and can be an addiction like drugs this addiction is harmless to your brain.
Parts of the brain are all connected to serve a purpose to our body and when listening to music your brain is mainly focused on the music.
The brain will create brain waves that correlate to the music, and so will your heart beat.
Studying while listening to music can be a distraction but with classical will boost your memory, reduce stress, and evoke memory.
Listening to rap or hip hop isn’t bad either while walking around at school. It’s an energy booster and can get you tapping your feet.