Filed under Feature

Working in a man’s world

Chassidy Montgomery defying stereotypes in the workplace

Junior+Chassidy+Montgomery+is+the+only+girl+in+her+welding+class.+
Junior Chassidy Montgomery is the only girl in her welding class.

Andrew Eccles

Andrew Eccles

It would be safe to say the world of welding is dominated by men.
That fact has not escaped junior Chassidy Montgomery, but it also doesn’t scare her in the least.
Montgomery is surrounded by boys in her college welding class but she doesn’t let that affect her.
“It’s different. There are jokes made, but in the end it turns out women have a steadier hand than men,” Montgomery said. “So their beads turn out better.”
Only about 2% of welders in the United States are women. Montgomery caught onto welding fast and enjoys the uniqueness of the task.
She took basic welding sophomore year with Mr. Alan Held. During the class she discovered her natural talent.
“During the first portion of the class we had to do all the safety and we went through all the types of welding and then we got into the actual welding. When we got in there and I started welding, it caught my interest and I really enjoyed it.” Montgomery said.
During basic welding different ways of welding were introduced. Montgomery learned MIG, Stick and OA welding. Oxyacetylene welding is Montgomery’s personal favorite. This type of welding uses fuel gases and oxygen to weld and cut metals.
Montgomery attended manufacturing day on Oct 5 at Aulick Industries. Out of the fifty students that attended the event, Montgomery was the only girl. Her presence attracted the attention of the staff and she was offered an internship for next school year.
For the internship, Montgomery will be assigned to a worker and follow them around learning the ins and outs of welding. Aulick’s only has two female welders in the entire company and they are both based in Texas.
Montgomery plans to pursue a career in welding. She hopes to join the Navy and be an underwater welder.
“It’s very dangerous and supposedly takes ten years off your life expectancy,” Montgomery said.
Montgomery’s uncle and step dad both weld which allows her to discuss her future with them.
They plan on investing in equipment so Montgomery can perfect her craft outside of school.
Montgomery is pushing social standards and can be an inspiration to all of us. Find your passion and work at it, no matter what others say or how scary it may seem.