Filed under Sports

Holzworth earns return trip to state

After a successful freshman season where she placed 14th at the state meet, sophomore Brooke Holzwçorth was back for more this year as she was the team’s top finisher in every meet during the regular season.
Holzworth seems to be the next in a long line of successful Bearcat cross country runners.
In the last ten years the school has seen the likes of Aubree Woorden, Gatorade runner of the year. Whitney Riesen now a sophomore at Chadron State.
The most recent being Kaylee Bentley a freshman at Wyoming.
“I’ve been running since I was eight years old,” Holzworth said. “I got interested in running because my mom signed me up for races when I was young and my sister Krista always ran.”
Despite the fact this is only her sophomore year Holzworth has been doing races outside of school for a while now.
“I have gotten third place in the Fall Frolic for two years now and I have run the Bolder Boulder five times,” Holzworth said.
Holzworth’s freshman campaign was one for the books. Scottsbluff finished third in the overall team standings and Holzworth finished fourteenth individually.
“ Last year was my favorite year because I got to run with my friends at state,” Holzworth said.
Even with last year in the rearview mirror the taste of success is still strong.
“Running on a successful team with a couple of seniors leading the way really benefited the girls,” head cross country coach Aaron Carrizales said.
This all capped when Holzworth won her first high school meet at the Gering Invite earlier this fall.
“Winning my first high school race was so exciting because high school is so much more competitive than other levels,” Holzworth said.
Last year at the district meet Holzworth finished in fourth place.
This year the meet was once again at the Ogallala Country Club on Oct. 11. Where Holzworth finished in 1st place.
Throughout all of the Class B Holzworth had the fastest time in all four districts, and went on to an 18th place finish at the state meet.