Filed under Sports

Young, inexperienced netters wrap up season at state meet

Sophomore Porter Robbins returns a serve at the Scottsbluff Invite. Robbins went on to the state tournament, playing at No.2 singles

Gordon Rock

Gordon Rock

Due to the youthfulness of this years boys tennis team a few of the players have risen to leadership positions.
“It is weird because we don’t have someone to lead us but we had great leaders least year so we know how things work,” sophomore Porter Robbins said.
“Varsity co-captains Lincoln Frank and Porter Robbins as well as JV captain Ethan Gion all wrote letters expressing their goals individually and for the team and why they would like to be captains. All three did an outstanding job,” Head Coach Darren Emerick said.
To overcome their lack of experience the boys on the team developed a set of core covenants to shape the attitude and moral of the the players: We’re Fearless, We’re Focused and We’re all in.
“Being fearless enabled them to step on the court against older, stronger players and play all out, with no self doubt. The focused nature of their play helped them use advanced tactics and patterns beyond their level of experience. And if you know this team, or saw them out there under the lights long after practice ended, you would know they were all in,” Emerick said.
Team chemistry has not been a problem as the team – to – coach and athlete – to – athlete relationships have been strong.
“I’ve been blessed to have student athletes with great attitudes and a good combination of fun and intensity during practices,” Emrick said.
The team was limited by the short tennis season but the team has made leaps and bounds in their game.
“I was honestly surprised at how far they came from August to the state tournament in October. With a solid technical base they are now set to advance their on court performance next fall,” Emerick said.
Despite the lack of experience several sophomores made it to state. The included Dawson Mohr in No. 1 singles, Porter Robbins in No. 2 singles, Riley Little