Filed under Entertainment

The Haunting of Hill Houses strikes a nerve

Rating: Four out of Five stars

The very structure of The Haunting of Hill House is a thing of beauty, cutting back and forth between two eras of the Crain family.
The present-day material introduces us to an array of troubled souls, all of whom are somewhat involved in trying to psychologically atone for the events that took place at Hill House decades ago. Each episode focuses on a Crain family member, filling in both their present difficulty and highlighting their perspective on the days the family spent in one of the most famous haunted houses in the world.
Of course, all of the Crains quickly realize things aren’t right. Nell sees something called the “bent neck woman,” which is even more terrifying than it sounds, and the Crains hear bumps in the night and dogs on the property when there should be none at all.
Steven (Michiel Huisman) became a famous horror writer, even though he never really saw most of what went down at Hill House. It’s almost as if he’s trying to catch up with his siblings’ first-hand experience.
Shirley (Elizabeth Reaser) owns a funeral home, trying to explain the journey to the great beyond in a way that makes sense of her own dealings with death.
Theo (Kate Siegel) lives in her sister’s guest house and helps foster children in a way that broaches the supernatural, again, she’s a damaged person trying to save damaged children herself.
Luke (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) struggles with addiction; Nell (Victoria Pedretti) battles the horror of sleep paralysis.
Overall The Haunting of Hill House is an extraordinary TV show, filled with suspense and horror.