Filed under Entertainment

Halloween: 40 years later

Rating: Three and a half stars out of Five

40 years after the release of the movie Halloween, 61-year-old Michael Myers puts on the mask once again in the October blockbuster repping the same name.
Ditching every previous Halloween title (aside from the very first), this movie focuses on an all-new cast of people with the exception of actor and actress Nick Castle and Jamie Lee Curtis, who reprise their roles as Michael Myers and Laurie Strode respectively.
This movie was not a bad movie. That being said, there were elements of this film which almost turned it sour.
At times, the story tried to balance a lot on its shoulders, carrying subplots that appeared and disappeared without a second thought. This made me feel detached from the story.
The high point of Halloween was definitely the relationship between Myers and Strode.
While the previous portrayal of these two characters resembles a cat-and-mouse plot, Halloween dives deeper into Strode’s family life. Specifically, it examines how the accident has affected Strode’s relationship with her family.
Strode’s life since the incident has been rife with paranoia and despair, constantly in fear of the Boogie-Man’s return.
Halloween succeeds in showing the real-life consequences of dealing with such a traumatic event. The movie’s exploration of the psychological effects Strode faces are absolutely brilliant.
However, one thing this movie didn’t do well at all was the representation of the seniors. I’d go as far to say the teenagers were the low point of this movie.
Their actions and dialogue never really hit their mark, and all of them felt as if they didn’t really know who they were supposed to be.
It really wouldn’t have been such an issue if it weren’t for the fact that the teenagers were such a pivotal role in the original movie. It was truly a disappointment to see such a poor performance from what should have been the most nostalgic element.
Setting the teenager part aside, the rest of the movie was honestly a pretty good film.
When a scene wanted to build intensity in this movie, it had no problem delivering. Whenever Michael Myers entered the scene, he immediately stole the show.
Backed by some seriously intense music produced by John Carpenter–who also was responsible for the original movie’s score–Michael was indeed the embodiment of evil.
Some scenes were a bit over the top with splatterhouse effects that just felt unnecessary. That being said, seeing the Boogie-Man return in this movie was a thrilling experience.
All and all, this movie wasn’t bad, but there was definitely a portion of it that wasn’t good, either. Even so, the ride was most certainly worth it.