Filed under Feature, News

Giving the Chances

A+Reconnection
Back to Article
Back to Article

Giving the Chances

A Reconnection

A Reconnection

Draven Sanford

A Reconnection

Draven Sanford

Draven Sanford

A Reconnection

Anthony Parker, a person rarely seen around the high school is a leader, friend, and mentor all in one.
This Reconnect instructor has faced some challenges throughout his life but through some leadership he received from his own educators led him to be the man he is today.
“My biggest influence on my life was my principal, I was in 11th grade and I was in French class, out of all classes, and life was just really beating me down” Parker said.
“I was trying to find a way out, based on my behavior in the class my teacher sent me to the principal’s office” From that moment, Parker felt done with life and school, didn’t want to live anymore and quite frankly didn’t care.
This particular day, he took his glasses off and with one tear down coming down his face, he asked what’s wrong, tell me what’s going on in your life and at that point I felt like I had finally found someone within the four walls of the school that actually cared about me. At that point I spilled my guts out to him, I told him everything that was wrong from eight years old to present day”
Parker started at Reconnect in 2017 as an instructor to help students graduate and have the chances he never did when he was in high school.
“If there was an opportunity like Reconnect when I was in high school, I would have taken that opportunity” Parker said.
When students are having a bad day or tell Parker that he doesn’t understand what they are going through, he understands a lot more than what they think.
Parker has risen from the darkest moments in his life and wants to give the students the chances he never got. He also wants to help every student he can at Reconnect or anywhere that students need someone in the four walls of schools.
Giving
the
by ANDREWALVAREZ
news editor