Teen workers have protection under the law

Back to Article
Back to Article

After School Job

After School Job

After School Job

After School Job

While national surveys show fewer teens are working today than 20 years ago, 20-30 percent of teenagers are employed in full or part-time jobs.
Fortunately for those teens, there are laws protecting them from employers who might take advantage of their age.
The laws protect everything from how many hours and days a week a teen can work, to the age teens can actually start working.
According to the law, students can only work 20 hours a week during the academic year. Holiday breaks that are one week or longer students are allowed to work 40 hours a week.
Students are supposed to work only three hours a day on a school day and eight hours on a non-school day.
Certain laws actually regulate by age. For example, a student is 14 or 15 years old, he/she is not allowed to work past 7 p.m. on a school day and 9 p.m. on a non-school day.
These laws do not apply if they are working in a non-hazardous place or delivering the newspaper, etc.
On days where there is school the next day, students over the age of 15 are allowed to work until 10 p.m, on days that don’t have school the next day students are allowed to work until midnight.
To keep businesses from getting in a bind with the legal issues of hiring students, Nebraska Workforce Development tries to educate businesses on them.
In fact, the Nebraska Workforce development used to hand out bookmarks locally on how many hours teenagers could work and what jobs you could do at certain ages.
“When it comes to dealing with people who have assigned more hours than what they are supposed to I’ve never had to deal with that and I’ve worked here for 15 years”. Pat Comfort, regional manager at Nebraska’s Workforce Development center says.
These laws are part of the Fair Labor Standards Act which was created in 1938.
This law also permits 15-year-olds to become lifeguards (considered as a hazardous job).
The consequences of not following this act are the company may have to pay back pay, a suit for back wages and an equal amount as liquidated damages.
An employee may file these suits or may be filed on a federal or state level.
Many students have worked before the age of 14; Trevin Konley is one of them.
“I’ve worked as long as I can remember; I used to babysit in 7th and 8th grade”, Konley said.
Konley had more than one job at a time;
“I was working seasonally at Dairy King and was called in to take someone else’s shift at the union and Dairy king was the one who paid less so I quit that one,” Konley said.
But other students have also worked job at the exact same time, like Junior, Jobee O’Bannon.
“I was working Midwest auto and the Country club at the exact same time because I needed the money for my car,” O’Bannon said.
To help students who want to get a job at the ages 14 and 15 years old there is a program called Work Experience and Career Exploration; it was designed for youths who can benefit from a career-oriented educational program.
It helps younger students who can now work in a year or a few years understand what they can