Filed under Sports

Former CSC All-American takes over program

Dustin Sodola named head wrestling coach

Practice
Back to Article
Back to Article

Practice

Practice

Terry Pitkin

Practice

Terry Pitkin

Terry Pitkin

Practice

The boys wrestling program appears to be in good hands as All American, three time Nebraska State Champion, and former wrestler at Chadron State College, Dustin Stodola, is named new head wrestling coach for Scottsbluff High School.
Stodola spent a year working as a physical education teacher in Perkin’s County, as well as, the head wrestling coach for the high school.
“I came out here because there is a bigger wrestling community. Perkin’s County had looked at cutting the wrestling program a year or two ago. I did get more participation there but there was still the fact that the program could get cut in the near future.
Therefore, I came out here where wrestling has kind of been one of their stronger sports at least traditionally,” Stodola said.
Stodola was the perfect person to fill the position of former head coach James Miller.
With Stodola’s decorated 24 year wrestling career he is able to operate out of experience and relate with the athletes.
Stodola also said he will be placing a high priority on academics in his program.
“Being an athlete has taught me a lot of things in life as far as discipline. Academics were a big thing when I was in highschool. I’m hoping to move that onto these kids. It’s taught me a lot and I don’t like to talk about it now, those days are over but everything I’ve learned I’m going to pass on to the kids that I coach and help them become the athletes that they can be,” Stodola said.
The assistant coach this year is Trey Allison who is also CSC alumni. He was a multisport athlete playing football and participating in wrestling during high school but he went on to play football for the Cardinals in 2012.
These two young and invested coaches want to see Scottsbluff athletics succeed. Not only are they working to find athletes at the highschool level but they are even working in the middle school and with the clubs to develop young, talented athletes.
“We want to improve the program by getting kids out and as long as we can continue to grow at the club and middle school levels and even into the highschool I think that there is a bright future for the program. My assistant coach and I assist with middle school football and there are a lot of single sport athletes. With us talking to them I think that at an early age we can get them to become multisport athletes which will improve all of Scottsbluff athletics,” Stodola said.
The 2018 – 2019 wrestling schedule looks more challenging than seasons in the past.
Much larger schools appear on the roster but coach Stodola is not weary. He said the best way the team can be successful is working hard day in and day out.
Sophomore Paul Garcia and senior Devontae Gutierrez are the state returnees. Last year Garcia was a state champion along side Garrett Nelson.
“For both Paul and Devontae I like the odds of them succeeding this year. They both come in and work hard, push their teammates, set an example in the practice room,” Stodola said.
The wrestling season has taken off as the roster count has reached to 27 wrestlers.
The wrestling team went to Alliance on Thursday Dec. 6, and lost with a 57-24 score overall.
“There are going to be some upsides and downsides but as long as learn from those matches that we lose and ones we win I don’t see why we can’t be successful at every tournament and every duel that we go to,” Stodola said.