Not Your Average Joe

Fresh off of one of the most successful seasons in school history, Head Football Coach Joe Benson announced his resignation on Jan 8 after 30 years, compiling an 85-39.
Benson lead the Bearcats to the Call B state championship game this past fall where the Cats lost 45-29 decision to Omaha Skutt Catholic.
Benson attended Laramie High School and participated in football, basketball, and baseball.
He started coaching 34 years ago. He first coached eighth grade football in Laramie WY. Then he served as a volunteer high school football coach at Laramie High for two years. During his years as a student teacher, he coached football at Sheridan, WY.
Benson spent three years as co – head coach of the varsity football team with Derek Deaver. He spent the following sixteen as assistant coach, and the final 12 years the head coach.
“Coach Benson epitomizes what it takes to be a successful coach today. He builds positive relationships with players and coaches,” Deaver said.
After those three years, Benson became head coach and said he grew as an individual through coaching each year.
“I probably grew the most in 2000. In 1999, we had a lot of returning players and they were really easy to coach. In 2000, those kids did an unbelievable job, but we had to coach a lot harder and the ended up making it all they way to state,” Benson said.
Benson’s coaching philosophy is to coach the way he wanted to be coached and to make sure the players understand all they have to do is show up and work hard.
“He took any time that was necessary to help improve a player’s life, on and off of the field. He personally invested into my own life and helped me become a better man,” senior linebacker and tight end Jeremiah Delzer said.
Not only did Benson have to manage the team, he also had a family at home.
His wife of 26 years, Jodi Benson, participated in volleyball, basketball, and track in high school.
She also participated in volleyball for two years at Colorado Mesa University and another two years at Mid-Plains Community College in North Platte.
“He has always been a coach. His retirement is happy and sad for me because it’s what we’ve always done,” Jodi Benson said. “We love Scottsbluff sports, and we love football so I’m sad that this chapter is over, but I’m happy that he’ll have more time to do other things that he enjoys doing.”
It takes a team to run the team and the Benson family has spent years working together to support Scottsbluff athletics.
Benson’s son Ty played football, basketball, and baseball while he was in high school and went on to play baseball at WNCC after graduation.
“It was probably one of our harder phases when Joe was coaching Ty. I got both sides with my husband as the head coach and son playing on the team, but we enjoyed it and in the end had a great time,” Jodi Benson said.
“Since I grew up around my dad coaching I treated him just like any other coach. It was the same as all of the other teams I had been on,” Ty Benson said.
The Bensons also have a daughter, Abby, who participated in volleyball.
“The volleyball team usually played on Tuesdays, so I’d just go to her games after practice. The rest of the games were usually on Saturday. I did feel bad because I missed a few Friday night games, and that was tough,” Benson said.
“The thing about Joe is what you see is what you get. He is very committed in both areas and he did a great job balancing his family life with his coaching and school life,” Jodi Benson said.
Benson said it was time for him to step down. “I am tired and my message is getting stale. When that happens, it is time for someone new to take over,”.
Benson plans to continue coaching at the middle school level and spend more time doing other things that he enjoys.
Shortly after Benson’s resignation, Linebacker coach Mark Moran announced his resignation as well. Along with defensive line coach Todd Menghini