Filed under News

No kidding… There’s a goat in the AG Building

Back to Article
Back to Article

CJ Beery

CJ Beery

CJ Beery

There’s a new kid in town and his name is LeBron Chip. This kid, however, isn’t human.
A baby goat was born to sophomore Allie Carpenter at 2 p.m. on Jan. 15 in the animal sanctuary in the Ag department.
It was the first live-birth in the new building, there was a naming competition for the baby goat, which was thought of by the Carpenter sisters. Emily, 11, and Allie, 10, Carpenter are the owners and proud partners of the kid goat.
LeBron was picked because it was the most popular name and Chip, which is his middle name, was chosen because Carpenter liked it.
LeBron was born a buck, which is a male goat, and he will later be turned into a Mayweather (which means he will be castrated).
There are three different types of goats: show goats, meat goats, and dairy goats.
Talkington has been taking care of livestock for 45 years.
Talkington fed and watered the goats in the morning but other than that LeBron was the Carpenters’ responsibility.
The school might be housing more meat goats come in next year. The Ag Department will have more species of livestock coming, including pigs.
“The animals’ offspring will mostly be used to teach the vet science class which will teach them how to give the pigs shots and how to give ear notches to the pig,” Talkington said.
The livestock isn’t just used for the kids going into veterinary science, but for also farm animal vets.
LeBron is a show meat goat, which means it will be shown off at the Scotts Bluff County Fair next summer and possibly at the Nebraska State Fair in the fall, if he qualifies.
Following that he will be sold at about 9 to 10 months of age.
Goats can be both a show goat and a meat goat at the same time, or a show goat and dairy goat at the same time.
Cookie, who is LeBron Chip’s mom, was pregnant for five months. This is unusual for goats because they don’t normally have kids on their first cycle.
They bred Cookie for Allie so she could have an offspring to show at fair.
Show goats have to be born at the beginning of January or between January and March.
Carpenter has been raising goats for about three years and also shows and raises cattle.
“There was one complication during birth. LeBron started coming out sideways, which made us have to start pulling him out, where his front foot come out first,” Allie Carpenter said.
LeBron’s delivery was assisted by Ag teachers Shane Talkington, Alan Held, and student teacher Savannah Schaffer along with Allie.