Filed under In-Depth

Colors tell us much about ourselves and the world around us

The perfectly coordinated red outfit Sarah meticulously picked out this morning says a whole lot more about her than she could possibly imagine.
Ditto for every other teen choosing his/her wardrobe for the day. Without saying a word, colors silently tell stories about the person wearing them.
But it’s not just fashion that colors are defining. It is the color of buildings, food, vehicles, and even language.
According to www.colormatters.com, the history of language tells people that red is the first color after black and white.
Color specialist Leatrice Eiseman says the way colors affect us correlates to the way colors behave in nature. There is no definite color combination, but there are certain generalities that work out for things.
For example, a color to wear when you’re working out is orange because it stimulates your energy. A color to wear on a date if you’re a woman is red because it stimulates passion. If you want to be seen as aggressive, wear black.
No one sees colors in the same way. Eight percent of the male population has a red-green color vision deficiency and cannot see red at all.
Due to the differences in the male and female chromosomes, we can all see our colors differently. While a girl may see burgundy, or crimson, a man would only see red.
In fact, colors don’t even actually exist. In reality, colors are just the results of our brains trying to make sense of the signals it receives from outside.
Color influences many of our moods, so people place them to stimulate these moods.
Since pink is a calming color, mental institutions and prisons color their walls pink to calm down patients and prisoners.
The colors black and white are considered forgettable. Psychologists have discovered that people recall a colored image more often than they do for a black and white one.
It has something to do with the idea that color appeals more strongly to our senses.
Colors can usually describe our personalities based on what our favorite color is or by the color of car we own.
The color white is most commonly known as a good color, as it represents purity and innocence. It also has its negatives as it can also mean one is critical and fussy.
Not only do colors affect our moods, they can also affect the way that we taste things.
Researchers say red and yellow are the most appetizing colors. Which is why most franchises have those colors as their color scheme.
On the other hand, blue is the least appetizing color as it usually represents fruits, such as blueberries among other things. It is usually also the first sign that a food may be poisoned or spoiled.

Many colors can have negative side-effects on our behaviors. The color red is said to impair your performance on exams.
Students commonly associate the color red with a bad mark, which causes them to be discouraged.
In Italy, most performing artists would not go on stage if they have to wear anything purple.
There are two sides of the color spectrum that lay on the opposite ends of each other, one that is “warm” and one that is “cool.”
Colors in the red area of the color spectrum are known as “warm” colors, such as red, orange and yellow. These colors evoke emotions ranging from warmth and comfort to feelings of anger and hostility.
In contrast of warm colors, colors that are on the blue side of the spectrum, such as blue, purple and green, are known as “cool” colors. These colors are described as calm, but can also bring about feelings of sadness or indifference.
Red is the most popular color to be used on flags, 77% of the world’s flags contain the color red. It is also the first color that all babies ranging from newborns to as young as 2 weeks old see.
In earlier times the use of blue paint was so prized that there were laws for what could be painted blue. Jesus and Mary’s robes were commonly the only accepted uses of the precious color.
TV stars stay in the ‘green room’ during breaks because of the calming effect that green has. It is a relaxing space for them.
Green is considered to be a lucky color in western culture. However, it’s not the same for everywhere else.
Green cars on the racetrack are considered to be unlucky, and in Israel green usually symbolizes bad news.
The infographic below shows what the colors considered as the primary colors mean and what their effect on our moods are.
It’s evident that colors can mean a multitude of things, that they can show and represent numerous different things based on a person’s thoughts, religion, or culture.
There are many other colors with unique meanings than just these few, and many of them can affect all of our lives in their own unique ways.