Families inside the classroom

Back to Article
Back to Article

Families inside the classroom

Tying the knot

Tying the knot

Courtesy photo

Tying the knot

Courtesy photo

Courtesy photo

Tying the knot

On the outside, students feel as though having a parent on campus may cramp their style.

However, those students with parents on campus don’t always feel that way.

“I can’t imagine not having my mom at the high school,” Junior Sydney Hinze said.

Though, being a teacher’s kid can take some getting used to.
“I’ve gotten used to seeing teachers outside of school, but in middle school it would weird me out,” Hinze said.

Her mom, Angie Hinze, teaches German 2, 3, and 4.

But, each year Frau Hinze’s children were freshman, she also taught one block of German 1.

“Luckily, Frau Henderson was so accommodating so I could have my children in class. It’s been wonderful watching them grow from freshman to their senior year,” Frau Hinze said.

Sydney is the youngest of Frau Hinze’s children. Shelby is 26 and Jack is 22.

Not only did Frau Hinze have her daughters in the class- room, she also coached them on Drill Team.

“I am fully confident that either girl would have made
it on to Drill Team even if I wasn’t the director. Both girls are trained dancers, and hae been training at Tabor Dance Academy since they were small. Shelby even got a schol- arship to Kansas University for dancing,” Frau Hinze said.

However, Frau Hinze has immensely enjoyed her time being their coach.

“My experience being their coach has been invaluable. Although, sometimes the
lines between coach and mom blurred, especially with Shelby. Sydney is much more of a rule follower,” Frau Hinze said.

Frau Hinze isn’t the only teacher to have their children as students; English teacher Todd Menghini also had his daughters as students.

“My oldest, Kelcie, graduated in 2012, and Savannah graduated in 2014. I had Kelcie for English 9, A.P. English, and Composition 1, while I had Savannah in English 9 and Composition 1,” Mr. Menghini said.

Having their children in class doesn’t come without its challenges.

“I also tried my hardest to not treat them differently, in fact, I might even be harder on them than the other students. Once, I failed Savannah on a paper for using the word ‘you’,” Menghini said.

“I give my children the same expectations as any other student,” Frau Hinze said.

Being a teacher’s kid isn’t always easy, since a stigma is attached to it.

“Some people think that I get taught at home, or special treatment in class,” Hinze said.

Another feat that isn’t easy of being a teacher’s kid in high school is dating.

“Being a teacher’s kid is tough, combined with my reputation, some boys found that inimating. I never cared who my daughters dated – personal life is personal life. I knew that in the back of their minds, they always asked ‘Will he approve?’,” said Menghini.

Despite the busy schedule both parties hold, they make time to stop and see each other.

“I only see her sometimes, since she’s usually just here in the mornings. Usually, I see her for snacks,” Hinze said.

“Usually when my daughters stopped and saw me, it was for logistical reasons. Rather than texting, like a typical student would text their parents, they would stop in and ask me things such as who was taking them home,” Menghini said.

Despite the challenges it is an experience that none would trade the world for.

“I feel privileged being a part time teacher, I have the best of both worlds. I get to be part of their lives at school in the mornings, and still have that time apart in the after- noons. There are definite perks, because I know what’s going on, sometimes more than they do,” Frau Hinze said.

“Seeing my daughters do well in school gave me a stron- ger sense of pride that carried into college and beyond. Both have great careers, and are independent. Kelcie is married and had her first child, Luca, while Savannah is dating a great guy. None of that is on me,” Menghini said.