Should absences determine who goes to prom?

NO!

Hannah Huynh , Junior

One of the highlights and milestones of a teenager’s high school career is for the chance to attend prom.

As movies and tv shows show the glitz and glamour of prom night, people have this idea in their mind of how perfect they want their prom night to be.

For months at a time, teenagers spend bundles of time ago- nizing over nail colors, dresses, suits, and the perfect date for a night that is supposed to be highly memorable.

When the time finally comes, several students are excluded from one of the most memorable moments in their high school experience due to four or more unexcused absences.

Although prom is seen as an academic incentive to admin- istration, it translates to so much more for the majority of the student body.

The policy seems fair from an indirect standpoint, but it’s almost like a punishment more than an incentive.

Students may put endless planning and preparation into prom. Hair, a dress or tuxedo, nails, and other appointments are made, only to be told to scrap it all within a week of the dance.

Students deserve more than four mere chances to attend prom, or an effective alternative in making those unexcused absences up.

Prom should not be a celebration taken away to punish those who decide to ditch, but a motivation and reward for the students that put in effort at school.

All students deserve the chance to dress up, let loose, and feel like royalty for a night.

YES!! 

Nate Cantor, Senior

Is it unreasonable to expect a worker to show up on time and perform a job well to get a raise?

Is it unreasonable to expect a dog to perform a trick in order to get a marbled piece of bacon?

The answer, obviously, is it’s entirely reasonable for both the worker and the dog to perform the actions required of them. Why would they get a reward for slacking off?

By the same token then, is it unreasonable to expect students to go their classes on time and get good grades in order to get a final reward at the end of the year?

While many students view CATS as the illegitimate child of the school day, the truth is it’s a class and not an extracurricular. As such, attendance and participation in CATS is as necessary as in band or math class.

So many students get hung up on CATS that they forget the punishment applies to every class in the school day. While it’s unfortunate for CATS to receive the brunt of the punishment, it spells out an important lesson.

The school is honestly gracious enough to allow four absenc- es in order to qualify. At any real-world outing, such as a job, that would spell disaster.

Through its iron grip, the school is instilling values in its students with Prom as the ultimate prize.

Would it be nice to have more opportunities before being cast out of the running? Yes, without a doubt.

But wouldn’t it be nicer to just do what is expected of a stu- dent?