Filed under In-Depth

Helicopter Parents- part one

Kids who want wings

If ever there were a group of individuals in America today living in denial, heading that list would be helicopter parents.
While it’s a natural instinct for parents to want to protect their children, helicopter parents often are over involved, overbearing, overprotective and overall irritating.
Ironically, few helicopter parents recognize themselves in that role. For their kids, however, it is a different story.
“I think they (parents) should allow me more freedom; I think that I would be far more independent if they were less involved,” said *Sarah.
Other kids said they don’t see their parents as overly involved at all.
“I don’t believe my parents are very over protective; we have had arguments before but I know they have my best interests in mind, I think that I would be more independent but I would have made more mistakes,” said *Laura.
Parents definitely have their work cut out for them, trying to make sure their kids are prepared for adulthood.
At what point, however, does it become time to let kids experience the world, make their own mistakes and grow into adulthood?
“I think fourteen is a good age to start letting kids have more freedom and responsibility,” said *Eric, a junior.
Helicopter parenting has become a more popular trend throughout the 2000’s. As annoying as it is for kids is it really something to worry about?
According to recent information released by Dr. Jesse Viner and Matt Zajechowski over parenting truly is a problem for kids. The purpose of their data was to help college students with helicopter parents have better self-regulation skills (the ability to manage disruptive emotions and impulses), and basic survival skills.
The pair also found that 84% of college kids felt overwhelmed by their responsibilities and 51.3% felt overwhelming anxiety, proof that helicopter parenting can have an affect on kids as they mature
Since the beginning of time, kids have been waiting to grow up and get away from their parents. But that doesn’t always happen.
According to the doctors, 30% of job recruiters have received a resume submitted by a child’s parent, and 23% have been contacted by parents who believe their kids deserve a job they did not receive.

Parents try to protect their kids for as long as they can. Often times they still see their kids as babies and really don’t want them to grow up.
Still, instead of parents telling their kids the truth, they resort to becoming stricter and try to involve themselves more in their kid’s lives to keep from losing them, so to speak.
“I believe that my parents are so strict because they are trying to assert their role of leaders of the house,” said Sarah.
“They have a right to help, not hover,” said Eric.
Allowing one’s child small amounts of freedom every now and then, would only help them mature into self-sufficient human beings that a parent can be proud of.
Parents do the best that they can with what they have, eventually kids grow up and will be able to make their own decisions, equipped only with the tools their parents gave them.

*Names have been changed to protect student identity.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone