Filed under In-Depth, Uncategorized

Teen Drivers- part one

Smashing HITS

Junior Grace Maser knows she may not be the best driver in the world, but she doesn’t think she is the worst.

Maser’s driving track record, however, would suggest that she may want to pay a little more attention to the road and a little less on various rap artists.

One of her most embarrassing incidents took place at Taco Bell.

“I was with my friend Caylen Calderon jamming out to ‘Pipe It Up’ by Migos while we were in the drive-thru at Taco Bell,” Maser said.

“I pulled too close to the drive thru window and when I pulled away I sideswiped my car on the wall. Instead of backing up I just kept driving forward and scratched almost the whole side of my car.”

These sideswiping experiences haven’t just happened at Taco Bell for Maser. It has also happened at Jax.

Maser’s other driving talents include hitting mailboxes and knocking down trash cans.

When Maser was asked why she had so many bad driving incidents she had a response that many other bad drivers did.

“I’m an airhead and I’m never really paying attention.” Maser said.

Another driver who has had some bad experiences is senior Jordin Mundt.

“My worst accident is the one where I rear ended someone. It messed up the whole front on my car, but only gave the other a scratch.” Mundt said.

At SHS there seems to be a lot of bad drivers. Some student drivers have even hit other students, fortunately not on school property

Studies have shown that teen drivers are too immature to be on the road. Many have even advocated for the driver age to be changed from 16 to 18.Senior Krista Holzworth has also been a victim of bad 16 year old driving.

One week after receiving her license she rear ended another student on 27th Street.

“Well I was speeding and looked over at my friend and the car in front of mine braked and I rear ended him. It’s funny now but it wasn’t funny then.”

The Associates of British Insurers says a switch to 18 year old drivers could prevent 1,000 fatal teen crashes a year.

In the United States, 16 and 17 year old drivers are the most accident prone.

Certainly, the roads would be much safer without them.

Although the driving age has been questioned in the United States, it seems that there will be no change anytime soon.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone