Filed under Sports

It only takes one

Boys soccer team looking to improve after seven single goal loses

CAPTAIN. Senior captain Jake Anderson defended the goal during the Scottsbluff, Gering game on the 22nd. The team will compete in districts May 2nd and 4th.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

With eighty minutes to play in a soccer game, scoring one goal may not seem very difficult.
For the boys soccer team this year, one goal has been the ultimate hardship.
So far the team has lost seven games by only one goal, five of those games ended 1-0.
“We lost a lot of our scoring last year, so that has impacted our season,” head coach Nate Rock said, “We’ve been unlucky. We’ve lost seven games now by a single goal.”
“We’ve struggled to score goals this season which has been frustrating,” senior captain Jake Anderson said.
The team graduated many of their leading scorers last year, and have struggled to fill those roles this season. They have found themselves in a rebuilding year.
“We had a lot of big seniors last year, so we have had to throw some new guys in and have them step up,” Anderson said.

We are hoping to play our best soccer at the end of the year.” ”

— Nate Rock (boy's soccer coach)

Some of those players include Thomas Madden, Cade Witmer, Isaac Bowman, and Jerry Escamilla.
Though the team has had difficulty executing at the top of the field, they have done well protecting the goal.
“Our defense has remained solid. We’ve defended the goal really well,” Anderson said.
The team’s current record is 5-11, with some impressive wins against Gering(4-0), Grand Island Central Catholic(9-0), and Newcastle(6-1).
With the end of the season approaching Rock has high hopes for the team.
“We are hoping to play our best soccer at the end of the year,” Rock said, “Right now our goal is to win districts and sneak into sub-state and try to get into the state tournament.”
The team competed in the district tournament Tuesday, May 2nd against Kearney Catholic and won 2-1.
They will compete for the district championship on Thursday, May 4th, in Lexington against number one seed Lexington.
If the team wins the district championship they will compete at sub-state May 10th.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone