Filed under Sports

Bearcat athlete being inducted into hall of fame

HEISMAN+TO+HALL+OF+FAMER.+Johnny+Rodgers+throws+a+52+yard+pass+to+Forrest+%E2%80%9CFrosty%E2%80%9D+Anderson+on+a+trick+play+in+the+1973+Orange+Bowl.+The+Huskers+would+go+on+to+beat+Notred+Dame+by+a+score+of+40-6+to+win+the+1973+Orange+Bowl.+
HEISMAN TO HALL OF FAMER. Johnny Rodgers throws a 52 yard pass to Forrest “Frosty” Anderson on a trick play in the 1973 Orange Bowl. The Huskers would go on to beat Notred Dame by a score of 40-6 to win the 1973 Orange Bowl.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Scottsbluff will be well represented at the Nebraska High School Hall of Fame ceremony in Lincoln, on October 1st.
Two former Bearcat athletes, Forrest “Frosty” Anderson, and Ray Knaub, will both be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Along with the two athletes, the 1967-1968 Bearcat teams are being recognized for winning 4 state championships in one year.
Knaub, a 1954 Scottsbluff alum went on to have an illustrious career as a UCLA Bruin, which included competing in the 1956 Olympic Trials.
During his sophomore and junior seasons at Scottsbluff, Knaub won the All-Class gold medal in the pole vault as well as long jump his junior season.
As a senior, he was plagued with injuries but he still managed to receive a scholarship to the University of California Los Angeles. As a Bruin at UCLA, he went on to win a conference title in long jump.
The other Hall of Fame Bearcat to be inducted is Frosty Anderson.
Frosty was an all state selection in football, a 2 year basketball starter and a member of the state championship 1968 track team.
Frosty would receive a full ride football scholarship to the University of Nebraska Lincoln, and letter 3 consecutive years for the Huskers.
He was also a part of the 1970 and ‘71 national championship teams.
His father, Forrest “Forddy” Anderson, is a former Michigan State head men’s basketball coach from 1954-1965.
Forddy led the Spartans to the Final Four in the ‘56-’57 season and to the Elite Eight in the ‘58-’59 season.
Following his career in East Lansing, Hiram Scott College was just starting up and was in need of a new athletic director and head basketball coach and Forddy decided to move his family from East Lansing, Michigan, to Scottsbluff.
Frosty was entering his freshman year of high school when his family moved to Scottsbluff.
“It was a little nerve racking moving to Scottsbluff, I had two older sisters who were both college age so it was just me and my little sister were the only ones that were there,” Frosty said.
One major common denominator between East Lansing and Scottsbluff was football, and Frosty quickly got plugged into the freshman football program at Scottsbluff.
“We got there and we got information about when football started, where to go for practice, and where the school was. So I didn’t really know anybody until the first day of practice,” Frosty said.
Being the new kid on the block, especially in a sport, is definitely intimidating.
“We met at Bearcat Stadium on the east side and there were about 50 guys there and I didn’t know anyone. So I sat down kind of close, but not too close. Then Greg Sparks came up to me right away and said, ‘So you’re the new kid right?’ and then Tom Engleman, basically the ring leader of the group, came up to me and he ended up being my best friend,” Anderson said.
Frosty and Engleman would end up spending their summers together throwing passes on the front lawn of the high school for hours on end.
Following Frosty’s freshman year, the Bearcats would have great teams the next three years, making the then Big Ten Championship game each season.
“We had great teams, and we ran into Fremont in the Big Ten Conference Championship game three years in a row. Sophomore year, we went down to Fremont and got crushed 33-0. Then my junior year, those guys, meaning the seniors, were studs. We ended up winning state that year and beating Fremont 29-6, I think. Senior year, we went back down to Fremont and they were highly ranked and we weren’t and we ended up coming back in the last second to tie them for the championship,” Frosty said.
Frosty believes that game against Fremont played a huge role in earning him his scholarship to the University of Nebraska Lincoln.
“In that game, I intercepted a pass and recovered a fumble. Through our summer escapades of throwing to each other all the time we came up with this ‘z out’ route which was just like a sandlot play. Engleman tells everyone in the huddle that I am running a ‘z out’ and I’m the only one that knows what he’s talking about,” Frosty said. “Everyone was confused and Engleman told them ‘just don’t worry about it, just go block’ and we ended up scoring the touchdown to tie it on that sandlot play.”
Frosty ended up receiving a full scholarship to play football for the Huskers, and winning two consecutive national championship in 1970 and 1971 his redshirt sophomore and sophomore seasons.
“I don’t want to say it wasn’t that hard [winning national championships] but that is what he did! It was unbelievable, the team was great and we could count on Johnny to score and win games for us,” Frosty said. “It’s just what we did, we just went out and killed people, it was unbelievable. That year [1971] we knew that we were the best team, but Oklahoma and Colorado were the second and third best teams. We were fortunate enough to beat them.”
That team used to intimidate their opponents, and they knew they were the better team.
“My senior year I met UCLA’s quarterback, Tom Harmon, in New York for a scholar athlete thing and he told me, ‘We were so scared going into that game’ and I couldn’t believe he said that. Then he went on and said ‘Oh my God, Nebraska stadium in all red like that’ and I thought that was funny because I never experienced that feeling,” Frosty said.
Following his playing career for the Huskers he decided to stay in Lincoln and work at a local bank.
Being elected into the Hall of Fame was a humbling experience for Frosty.
“I was very honored when I was nominated for the Hall of Fame. It certainly puts me in my place because it takes a village you know,” Frosty said.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone