Filed under News

Shuttle Trouble

Bugs being worked out for dual-school transport system

Here%2C+a+bus+waits+in+the+bus+barn+next+to+BMS.+Every+day%2C+two+buses+travel+between+the+high+school+and+WNCC.+
Here, a bus waits in the bus barn next to BMS. Every day, two buses travel between the high school and WNCC.

Kaya Vonburg

Kaya Vonburg

Senior Dakota Empfield patiently waits for the shuttle to arrive at the front of the school at 1:55 on Tuesdays and Thursday for his acting class at WNCC. This class starts at 2:00, but he is regularly held up by attendance, taken either by Assistant Principal Justin Shaddick or security guard Kim McStay.

Buses take ninety-one students over the course of one day to and from WNCC, for their respective college classes.

The mandatory shuttle is new this year and as was anticipated by administration, there have been some problems.

It took two weeks to get the bus schedule figured out according to Shaddick. Currently two buses run between the campuses from 9:30am to 3:00pm at five minute intervals.

Even with two buses, students are often times late going to or returning from classes at the two sites. Because of this, students miss class time and cannot stay to ask their college teachers questions.

Senior Logan Fox cannot afford to be tardy to his college class.

“The teacher doesn’t give any leeway on being late. If I’m late nine times, I’ll be dropped from the class,” Fox said.

Although the WNCC administration has promised to side with students on these issues, there is no policy protecting them if they are late back to the high school because of the buses.

“Students need to communicate with teachers and advocate for themselves,” Shaddick said.

This shuttle system was superintendent Rick Myles’ idea.

Myles said students should have an equal opportunity taking classes at WNCC, whether they can drive or not.

Students, however, are not fans of this new policy.

“I don’t like the buses. It’d be faster if we could just leave, I understand some kids don’t have cars, but it’d be easier if we could go on our own,” junior Alexia Diaz said.

“I understand the logic between it, but it makes me feel patronized. I’m mature enough to take college classes, but not cover my own transportation,” Empfield said.

CHOICES students also miss valuable class time, leaving 10-15 minutes early to catch the bus. The buses used to stop by the CHOICES building, but that caused a lot of timing issues, and was dropped.

Some, however, choose to look at the positive side of the buses.

Kaya Vonburg
Senior Logan Fox walks to the shuttle bus, ready for his college class.

“The safety piece of the buses is wise; accidents increase when there’s twenty cars on the roads versus two buses. It is an inconvenience for the seniors, however, since they are capable of driving two miles,” CHOICES counselor Sue Herdt said.

The busses also solve the issue of the parking at the college. With the influx of high school students during the day, both the high school and college students struggle to find parking spots, especially those close to the classrooms.

The buses are designed get students delivered on time. To help with that, scan cards will be issued within the next week to make attendance procedures faster.

To pay for all of these added fees, Shaddick, budgets out extra costs, such as gas, and paying the bus drivers.

These costs total to $20,000 for the entire school year.

WNCC reimburses half the cost, and the other half is sent to the school district for approval and then payment.

Students who skip the bus and drive themselves to class face a discipline procedure outlined on pgs. 31 & 32 of the handbook

First, a student is issued a warning. Second, there is parent/guardian phone call. Next, students are put in ISS for insubordination.

Finally, if the violations continue, the student is dropped from the class, has to pay back the school the full cost of the class and receives an F on their transcript.

Some students have been issued warnings for driving themselves, but the policy was not in effect until the week of Aug. 28-Sept. 1.

Warnings issued prior to Sept. 1 have been negated.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone