Filed under Sports

Powerlifting helps Kishiyama get back in shape

Senior Zack Kishiyama prepares to bench press. This exercise strengthens chest muscles.

Jack Hallowell

Jack Hallowell

The look on senior Zack Kishiyama’s face says it all. A bright red flush and sweat falling from his hair is accompanied by the feeling of determination. Powerlifting has been his dominant sport since the beginning. Not only is lifting one of his hobbies, but it also plays a role in his everyday lifestyle.

During his freshman year, Kishiyama started to notice that he was less “in shape” when compared to other athletes in his grade. So, he decided to do something about it and changed his lifestyle in a major way.

He started lifting weights not to lose weight, but to get more in shape with the help of dieting. In the process, he developed a love for powerlifting.

Powerlifting is not only a physical sport, but also a mental sport. The focus is on three lifts: squat, bench press, and deadlift.

“It takes a lot of thinking and it forces you to push yourself to your limits,” said Kishiyama.

During Zack’s sophomore year, he spent a lot of time in the weight room. “I guess I was always a bigger kid just naturally. But as I got into sophomore year, that’s when I started lifting and I felt better about myself,” said Kishiyama.

Not only did he start lifting weights, but he also started to pay attention to his diet and what he puts into his body. Hydration and healthy proteins were incorporated into his eating habits.

“The summer from sophomore to junior year I lost about 50 pounds. I went from about 245 to 185 to 180 and then my weight just kept going down from there.”  Kishiyama said.

In addition to lifting, Zack participates in track, where he throws shotput and discus.

“Lifting has definitely made me stronger so I’ve seen an improvement with my throws,” said Kishiyama.

“He expects the very best of himself and has the work ethic to try to attain it,” said track coach Morgan Wilken.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone