Filed under News

York, Empfield recieve honors

Two seniors recognized at the state, national level

Senior Taylor York got his school year off to a strong academic start when he learned he was named a Commended Student in the 2018 National Merit Scholarship Program.

The announcement was made last week by Principal Mike Halley.

About 34,000 Commended Students throughout the nation are being recognized for their exceptional academic promise.  Commended students placed among the top 50,000 scorers of more than 1.6 million students who entered the 2018 competition by taking the 2016 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT).

York, who is member of the school’s Math Club, DECA, and German Club, carries a 4.0 GPA

York tentatively plans to study biology at college although he has not yet decided where he will attend following graduation.

Another Scottsbluff High School was honored last week when the Nebraska School Activities Association (NSAA) released the list of its 2017-2018 Believer and Achievers.

Senior Dakota Empfield was named one of 48 finalists to receive the award.

Believers and Achievers is a state-wide program designed by U.S. Bank and NSAA to give recognition to Nebraska’s future leaders.

Beginning in October 2017 and continuing through March 2018, the 48 Nebraska high school seniors will be honored as Believers and Achievers.  From those 48 finalists, eight will receive $500 scholarships from U.S. Bank to the college or university of their choice at a scholarship banquet to be held on April. 2018.

The students will be recognized at NSAA State championships throughout the 2017 -18 activities year and on bi-monthly posters sent to all NSAA member schools and U.S. Bank branches throughout the state.

Empfield is a member of A Cappella Choir and Choralaires, speech team, Mock Trial, Math Club, and has been a participating member of the school’s one-act team for four years.  He has also been a part of the school’s spring musical for the past three years.

Empfield has not yet made a college choice and is looking a number of options regarding his major.

The Echoes would like to commend both of these young men on their honors.  Their awards reflect their commitment to academics and activities as part of the total high school experience.

Congratulations Taylor and Dakota on representing your school and community so well.

The parents of these two award winners are Tracy and Evie York and Barb and Devin Empfield.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone