Filed under Entertainment

Concert review

Echoes writer shares his experience

At the Gorillaz concert, the opener group made use of lighting to enhance their performance.

Benjamin Vidlak

Benjamin Vidlak

Being an avid music fan and vinyl record collector one would think that I’d have gone to many concerts in my lifetime. Well let me be the first to tell you I had my first concert experience one week ago, and man what an experience it was. On my birthday way back in April when I first heard the news that my parents had bought me two concert tickets for Beach House and Fleet Foxes, one for me and one for a friend, I was beyond excited. A few weeks later my girlfriend got tickets for the band Gorillaz on her birthday as well. It just so happened that the Gorillaz concert was the day before Beach House and Fleet Foxes at the very same venue. Things could not have lined up better!

On Tuesday, September 29th, I left for Denver with my girlfriend Destiny De Los Santos and her parents, purposefully holding back any expectations I had. Gorillaz being a semi cartoon band it was difficult not to let my mind wander off into some crazy daydream of what it would be like, but when I got there it was better than I could’ve imagined. Their use of stunning visual effects topped with great music filled us with the feeling of nostalgia. But the best part of it was to see Destiny freaking out like a child on Christmas day. Seeing her all cute and goofy as she fangirled over her favorite band really made the experience all the more fun.

Destiny De Los Santos and Benjamin Vidlak

The other two concerts were definitely more chillaxed with a more mellow vibe to their sound and tone, but the were just as much fun to listen to no doubt. Hearing Victoria Legrand from Beach House singing her amazing songs such as Levitation, Myth, Chariot and many others in her beautiful unique voice was definitely an experience worth having.

And to end it all with the song Blue Ridge Mountains by Fleet Foxes with its heavy folk / soft rock influences was the cherry on top of it all (this happens to be my favorite song). All and all the concerts will be something I’ll never forget.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone