Filed under Sports

Unified Bowling

Unified sports promote student collaboration

For the past two years, students who have not been allowed to be in varsity sports have been given the opportunity to compete in Unified Bowling.

The purpose of unified sports is to incorporate students with intellectual disabilities into sports when they wouldn’t otherwise be able to participate.

The encouragement of social inclusion promotes the understanding that people with and without intellectual disabilities can work together and achieve a goal.

There are 54 schools in the state that participate in unified sports.

Scottsbluff implemented Unified Bowling into fall sports two years ago with Maggie Anderson as the head coach.

So far, there are 26 students involved in Unified Bowling; 16 playing the sport and 10 helpers who guide the athletes.

For the sport to be considered unified, there is a team made of four members, and at least one of them has to be intellectually disabled. Once the team is chosen, they stay the same for the rest of the season.

According to Coach Anderson, one of the best influencers on the team is junior Colby Frith.

“Everyone is unique in their own way. Everybody works really hard and I enjoy being around all the athletes.” said Colby Frith.

Throughout the season, the team has not only learned how to bowl, but they have also learned how to communicate with each other and other social skills they will use in the future.

Senior Myracle Crow is in her first year on the bowling team.

“I choose to participate in Unified Bowling because it’s fun and I enjoy it,” Crow said.

Some challenges the team has faced this season are that they’ve only competed in one triangular this year against Alliance and Gordon-Rushville. The team will participate in two more tournaments in their regular season.

Part of the success of the team comes from student helpers like sophomore Jacob Krul.

“I encourage people on the team to have fun and give their best effort. I wanted to help the kids with special needs and I have a lot of fun with them,” Krul said.

Unified sports focuses on the encouragement of all people overcoming differences and working as a team to achieve a goal, which is why senior Cameron Britton joined the team.

“The thing I’ve learned the most is that with a lot of practice and a fun team, you can get better and win,” Britton said.

As for the rest of the year, the team will compete in two more tournaments and then move onto districts Nov. 27. Teams competing at districts include Alliance, Gordon-Rushville, North Platte, and South Platte.

“The season’s been great even though we have not won any meets. We all come together and make each other’s day better when we’re struggling.” ”

— Colby Frith, 11