Filed under Sports

Frost(ing) on the Husker cake

As the Husker football season comes to an end, so does Riley’s coaching career.

On Nov. 24, hope was restored for Husker football fans with the hire of former Nebraska quarterback and head coach of UCF, Scott Frost. Frost was the first quarterback in school history to rush and pass for more than 1,000 yards in the same season.

Frost led UCF to an undefeated season, an American Athletic Conference title, and a date in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta on Jan. 1 against Auburn, all in his second season. Understandably, Frost bringing his coaching expertise to Nebraska has elated the husker fan base.

Nebraska has not won a conference championship since 1999. Fans are counting on Frost to end the drought.

Mike Riley served as the Huskers head coach for three years before being fired due to the team’s 4-8 in the regular season record, the worst since 1961.

Along with Riley went eight of his nine assistants, all but safeties coach Scott Booker. Riley had brought his entire staff to Nebraska from Oregon State, his previous school. At Oregon State, Riley’s winning percentage was 54%.

His staff was all signed through January of 2019. The school also still owes former athletic director Shawn Eichorst about $1.5 million through June 2019 and former head football coach Bo Pelini about $1.9 million through February 2019.

Although the University is still paying these former coaches and athletic director, the fans aren’t too bothered by the “cleaning of house”.

New athletic director Bill Moos and head coach Scott Frost are ushering in a new era and running as many options as possible.