Filed under Sports

Bearcat athlete to play under new Husker coach

The day starts for junior Garrett Nelson at 5 am with the sound of his alarm. He starts one of his three workouts for the day, training for an hour and a half for the US Army All American combine in early January in San Antonio, Texas.

Nelson lifts weights for an hour and a half and goes to wrestling practice after school for an hour and a half. He works out 6-7 days a week two times a day for 2 hours each session.

As soon as his wrestling season is done, he takes two weeks off and then trains every day until football season.

With all of this dedication, Nelson was the first student athlete from SHS to receive a D1 scholarship to the University of Nebraska to play football.

“I went to two camps that day. They were looking at me in the morning camp and I was approached after the afternoon camp for the scholarship. I was the only one from that camp to get offered a scholarship,” Nelson said.

“When I got offered the scholarship, I cried and hugged my family. It was so emotional with everything I’ve worked for led up to that moment,” he said.

Although Nelson was offered the scholarship by Mike Riley who is no longer the coach for the Huskers, he still plans on going to Nebraska.

“It was a sad experience. He’s super nice and the one who liked me as a person and a player. He has a positive attitude and a lot of class,” Nelson said.

However, Nelson is fond of Scott Frost and thinks he will be a great addition to Nebraska and the best coach fit for Nebraska.

“Bill Moos will improve Nebraska by continuing the tradition. The commitment of fans will help and the newcomers will improve the football team,” Nelson said of the new staff.

Although he’s been extremely successful in football, he credits his brothers and dad for inspiring him over the years.

“They taught me about work ethic, showing up on time, and always giving 100%. My older brothers beat up on me, and would always make me go to workouts with them,” Nelson said.

Nelson is carrying on the family tradition by going to UNL. His dad wrestled at Nebraska from 1988 to 1992.

“It’s special to me and I want to make my family proud,” he said.

As for the future, Nelson is just playing it by ear.

“I want a degree in business and finance, and I want to play somewhere north if I make it to the NFL, but I’m okay with not playing professional football because I’ll have my degree. Playing professionally is a goal, but not a priority, “he said.

Nelson is anticipating his experience at Nebraska, as are many of the people around the community.

“I can’t wait to be a Husker. I want to show people my potential,” he said.