Filed under Sports

Speed Kills

Bearcats sprinters earn repeatted track victories

Senior+Hunter+Drake+and+junior+Chris+Busby+compete+in+the+finals+of+the+100+meter+dash+at+the+Binfield+Invite.+Busby+won+the+race+and+Drake+was+second.+
Senior Hunter Drake and junior Chris Busby compete in the finals of the 100 meter dash at the Binfield Invite. Busby won the race and Drake was second.

Gordon Rock

Gordon Rock

The experts will tell you that when teenagers are driving, speed kills.

Track and field coaches will tell you that speed kills too, but it’s the opponents that are getting killed.

The boys track team which has 60 members this spring, has been led by the formidable sprinting trio of senior Hunter Drake, and juniors Jeremiah Delzer and Chris Busby.  The trio has literally been burning up the track in the early part of the season all across the state.

So how are they doing it?

These athletes have been competing throughout the offseason in football and indoor track meets.

Head Coach Shelby Aaberg recognizes these athletes compete in other sports and uses it to better them in the offseason.

“Many of our athletes this season were not out for a winter sport, so it is our responsibility to help guide these athletes to prepare them as best we can,” Aaberg said.

Junior Jeremiah Delzer in particular, has focused on getting faster and stronger this past winter.

“I got really strong this offseason. I lifted a lot and put on good weight. I also went to a winter indoor meet  at Chadron to practice before official practice started,” Delzer said.

Lifting weights and coordination drills are just a few key components that produce exceptional season results.

“I gave myself about two weeks of offseason after football and then I started going to the weight room. After January starts, I have the strength I need to begin winter conditioning. Then I start going to winter camps and competing in indoor meets,” Drake said.

During track season, the workouts focus on improving speed and endurance.

“In our event group (sprints), the upperclassmen have completely committed to the idea that to run fast, we need to run fast in practice everyday,” Aaberg said.

Before a race starts, warm-ups and rituals are important to a great race.

“They prepare you both mentally and physically, and any change in routine could be the difference between first or last place,” Drake said.

Based on their early season success, the boys team is currently ranked No. 2 in the Nebraska Track and Field Coaches’ Poll.

In the 100m, Chris Busby is ranked No. 1 in Class B with 10. 97. Hunter Drake is not far behind in fourth with 11.08 and Jeremiah Delzer in eighth with 11.21.

A select group of members are competing at the Nebraska Track Festival in Omaha today.