Filed under Sports

Following transfer Dunkel takes on leadership

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gordon Rock

Gordon Rock

Gordon Rock

It’s no doubt that this season has been a battle for the lady bearcats. With a current record of 6-25, they are hanging in there.
The team has made obvious improvements from last year.
“The girls have improved in every aspect of the game mentally, physically, and technically,” Head Coach Alexia Lanka said.
Despite the improvements, the team has room to grow.
“The season is not going how we would like it but we are persevering and trying to have fun with it,” senior Makenzie Dunkel said.
Dunkel transferred from Gering in April of last year to open herself up to more opportunities.
“Coming from Gering right away everyone just took me in like I had been with them the past three years.” Dunkel said.
As a starter on the volleyball team and hopes of starting on the basketball team Dunkel is learning how to be a strong team leader.
“Kenzie has really taken on a leadership role and helped teach the younger girls. She is an awesome athlete and a fierce competitor. Everyday she comes prepared and works hard,” Lanka said.
“It’s very difficult to be a team leader because you have to put the team in front of your own wishes and you really have to base your decisions off of what is best for the team. I’m very quiet so it takes a lot for me to
speak up.” Dunkel said.
For as long as she can remember Dunkel has been playing volleyball but it’s not her dream.
“I want to play basketball at Hastings, Kansas State, or Sterling College in Kansas,” Dunkel said.
OUR
VARSITY…
#1 Cali Wright